Thursday, March 8, 2012

Do-Over


If you had a chance for a do-over....

We often say: I wish I could do it over, knowing what I know now.  No doubt the outcome would be different?   But - what if you didn’t know what you know now?

I recently saw The Vow. Woman in a car accident, brain trauma, couldn’t remember a 5-year block of her life, including meeting, falling in love, and marrying her husband.   Her husband had to court her all over again, to try to make her fall in love with him again, without knowing if the outcome would be the same, if she would or even could ever love him again.  A daunting task.

If you had a chance to do it all over again, would you do it the same way?  It’s one thing to be able to do it over “knowing what you know now”, but, what if you didn’t know?  What if you couldn’t learn from your mistakes, because you couldn’t remember them?   What if you couldn’t rely on good memories to help you through the tough times, because there were no memories, good or bad?    What if doing it over didn’t feel like doing it over?   Would the do-over have the same outcome as the original happenings?

The Vow was based on a true story…but I won’t reveal how it ends.

“If I had it all to do over again, I would do most all things differently. However, how would I know that if, I had not had the opportunity to do them the first time.” ~Janice Markowitz

No comments:

Post a Comment