Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mean Green

My sister-in-law and I recently joined an organic farm/weekly local produce club and we should start to get the produce just after spring begins.  I bought a juicer to make sure we use up all the produce my husband and I might not be able to eat before it goes bad.  Coincidentally, just after ordering the juicer, I watched the documentary Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead – not knowing what it was about at first – but turns out it was about two men who went on a juice fast ~ one of them for 60 days having nothing but “mean green juice” and water.  He lost a ton of weight and was able to stop taking steroid medication he had been taking for a chronic autoimmune disorder which caused him to break out into hives.  The second guy also lost a lot of weight and was able to go off his cholesterol medication. 

The documentary also reinforced how crazy awful the American diet has become.  Supersized soda.  Boxed processed meals.  Lunchables.  Chemical ingredients.  It’s touted as quick and convenient, but personally, I think it’s just sheer laziness. Americans are sorely lacking vital nutrients that fend off disease.   But, has the American diet become this way because of the laziness, or is the laziness because of all the quick boxed convenience? 

Knowing full well I would not withstand a 60-day juice fast, I wanted the mini-experience.  Last weekend I attempted a two-day juice fast.  I found a “menu” for a weekend juice plan that included recipes for four drinks a day.  I spent approximately $40 on fruits and vegetables. I enjoy new gastronomic experiences, so I was actually looking forward to this but the thought of no solid food for two days was actually quite daunting.  I made and drank every drink on the plan, but towards the end of both days I was shaky and starving, and had to eat a lean protein and some steamed vegetables.  I felt great after the two days, and did lose two pounds.  Since then, I have been trying to make at least one juice a day – even my husband drinks the “mean green”!

Carrot Pineapple Chili Juice


Orange Berry Smoothie
The makings of Mean Green Juice
Mean Green: chock full of micro-nutrients!
  If life gives you lemons, make some kind of fruity juice. ~ Conan O'Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment