Thursday, January 14, 2010

Frogger

If I can make my 40-minute commute to work each morning unscathed, I consider myself lucky. Driving in New Jersey is hazardous to your health. It causes rapid heart beat and palpitations. It causes stroke-like symptoms of numbness and brain fog.

Yesterday morning I was almost T-boned.

I didn’t even have time to blast my horn. I literally had only seconds to swerve into the lane of oncoming traffic to avoid his front end from slamming into my passenger side. I was saved only by the fact there was no oncoming traffic in those few seconds. I was shaken and flabbergasted! Especially when I looked in my rear view mirror after returning to my own lane, and the guy was steadily making his turn, not batting an eye. No hesitation or braking. Just going where he wanted to go. There was a stop sign right in front of his face but of course it wasn’t meant for him.

Driving in New Jersey you always have to be on the defensive. You have to know there are people out there driving who should not be driving. There are people without car insurance. There are people without driver’s licenses. There are people who have failed driving tests. But they just keep on truckin’.

Inconsideration. Inconsideration and a real-time game of Frogger. That’s what you get when driving in the great Garden State.

Automobiles are not ferocious.... it is man who is to be feared. ~Robbins B. Stoeckel

No comments:

Post a Comment