Friday, January 22, 2010

Foodie

Getting together this weekend with some friends to have a tapas party. Food. All kinds of little foods. Lots of little tiny foods with big flavors. So, I get to eat a lot of little food.

A lot of food. The chorizo. The olives. The shrimp. The scallops. Grilled asparagus wrapped in Serrano ham. And did I mention the sangria?

I wonder sometimes why food excites me so much? I am heading out to Wegman’s on my lunch hour to shop for the tapas dishes I will be preparing and I am excited beyond belief. The produce aisle. The seafood. The bread.

So tomorrow afternoon, the girls will be preparing all sorts of foodstuff while the guys will be downstairs, practicing for their first surf music gig in a year.  I wonder how that will go….cooking Spanish-inspired food while listening to Dick Dale-inspired music?

Food…I even wrote a poem about it a while ago. Here is the abbreviated version:

Comfort Food

What does it mean when
Coffee is more comforting
than an embrace,
And wine more than words?

On a cold winter’s night
Mashed potatoes
Osso buco
That’s all I need.


Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity. ~Voltaire

No comments:

Post a Comment